Indianapolis Rack and Axle offers a limited life time warranty on steering gears with the exception of Electric Gears. Electric Gears carry a 6 month Warranty.
We only offer the highest quality auto parts and accessories, but in some rare cases you may need a replacement item under warranty. If an item you purchased from us needs to be replaced under warranty, we will ship you a replacement item. In most cases, we pay the shipping costs within the contiguous US 48 states. We offer two options for replacing an item under warranty:
- You return your purchased item, and when it is received, we send a replacement item. Once your return is received and inspected (usually within 72 hours of receipt) your replacement item will be shipped within 2 business days.
- You pay a temporary, refundable deposit and we send a replacement item in advance. This temporary deposit is fully refunded once your returned item arrives back at our warehouse. We provide you with a free return shipping label to ship the warranty return back to us. Once the return is received and inspected (usually within 72 hours of receipt) your refund will be automatically processed and issued to you within 2 business days. The refund will be issued to the same payment method you used to pay for the temporary deposit. (Keep in mind, depending on your credit card company, it may take an additional 2-7 business days for the refund to be visible on your account).
- Was your steering gear failure caused by fluid contamination that resulted from a bad hose or steering pump? You can pass a sample of the fluid through a coffee filter and examine for debris. Black fluid can be a sign of a hose that is deteriorated and needs to be replaced before installing your replacement steering gear or pump. Metal debris (fine grit) is usually a sign that the pump is failing and needs to be replaced at the same time you install your replacement steering gear.
- After inspection, flush the power steering fluid before replacing a steering gear or pump.
- After replacing the gear, bleed the system thoroughly. Turn the steering all the way in each direction at least 15 times and top off the fluid before starting the engine.
- Make sure the steering rack boots are not twisted after setting the alignment. Twisted boots will tear and void your warranty.
- You have installed your gear and it has no assist at idle, but has assist at higher rpm’s. This points to a pump problem. This usually means the pump is failing.
- Electric steering rack and pinions may need programming to introduce a new rack and pinion to your car’s CAN bus system and ECU. Follow all factory procedures.